Sunday, December 2, 2012

::Fluff:: Cloth Wipe Solution

The weekend is almost over unfortunately but before we get started with another blah week of work, I have a little craft/diy to share!

As most of you know, we are planning to cloth diaper Henley and we have all of the stash ready to go for her (I plan on posting the stash this week). I have read tons of advice from cloth diapering mama's that says it's easier to use cloth wipes if you are already cloth diapering since you don't have to separate the disposable wipes from the diaper when you put them in the diaper pail. If you use cloth wipes, you need to use a wipe solution since the wipes will be dry. Some people soak the wipes in the solution and put in a warmer (which is what we are planning) and other just spray each wipe with solution before each use. 

These solutions can be purchased from sites like Diaper Junction or Cotton Babies but since I assume I'll be using a lot of it, I thought it might be advantageous to make my own---plus this way I'll be able to control the ingredients. I decided to go with solution cubes which are a concentrate that can be dissolved into water one at a time as needed.

Ingredients:
Castille bar soap
Coconut Oil
Tea Tree Oil
Chamomile Oil
Lavender Oil
Silicone Mold


I grated the bar soap initially using a grater and then had pretty good luck using a rotary grater.

Spoonful of coconut oil

Stir coconut oil into soap and add about 10-20 drops of essential oils

Add enough water just to cover the soap

Simmer until melted



All finished. Using the silicone mold really made it super easy for these to pop out of the mold.

Cubes! 

I'm planning to store mine in an air-tight container. The cubes are about 1" square, about 0.5" deep and should make about 1-2 cups of solution each. The solution diluted should be changed out every few days but the cubes should last 4-6 months if kept in an air-tight container.

These cubes smell amazing and I hope the smell doesn't get too muted once it's diluted in the water---if so I'll just add more oil next time. I want to make some more batches to try different scent combinations so I'll keep you posted on those as well.

I have a few more posts to share this week, let's hope work calms down and I can actually post them! Enjoy the rest of your night and have a great week!

Mere :-)

3 comments:

  1. I just got a spray bottle to make our own solution but I think I'm going to do an olive oil, shampoo & water mixture! I did just get a big jar of coconut oil at Trader Joe's though to use as rash/nipple cream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did you like these? I'm contemplating making these with some wipes for a baby shower gift and was wondering how well they worked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 3 Researches SHOW How Coconut Oil Kills Belly Fat.

    The meaning of this is that you actually get rid of fat by eating Coconut Fat (also coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 studies from big medicinal magazines are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world upside down!

    ReplyDelete