Thursday, November 3, 2016

::Holidays:: Friendsgiving Tips

November 1st is here which means we can all officially start planning for Thanksgiving! Thanksgiving is such a great holiday and the month of November would be awesome for that alone but we also host a Friendsgiving potluck. Friendsgiving for us doesn’t take the place of Thanksgiving but instead is an “in addition to” giving us twice the delicious food and awesome company.

This year will be the fourth year we are hosting Friendsgiving. It’s such a great time and every year we all end the night proclaiming what a blast it has been. After three successful dinners and planning one more now, I thought I’d share some tips that really work out great for us so you can plan your own.

Every year we get more and more littles joining our crew

Friendsgiving Tips

1. Pick the timing that works best for you and your guests. In the past we have hosted our Friendsgiving the weekend before Thanksgiving. This year we are doing two weeks prior to allow some breathing room between this and our Thanksgiving with our families.

2. Send an invite with plenty of notice. I typically set up a Facebook invite about a month in advance. I am usually a big fan of tangible paper invites but a Facebook invites is helpful for planning when everyone starts posting what they are going to bring.

3. Be sure to have enough seating for all of your guest. We have a large table but I usually have to a arrange for a few borrowed tables or chairs.



4. Plan the menu. As host I always have the turkey covered. I also commit to one side or appetizer, one dessert, and drinks. Everyone else usually fills in the blanks.

5. For drinks we plan for beer and wine. I also like to make a fall flavored sangria or similar style of drink. This year I am planning for this apple cider sangria.

6. Set the mood. I love to decorate the house with fall accents including a nicely decorated table. Here are some of my favorite tablescapes I’ve saved on Pinterest lately. In addition to decor some mellow music is perfect for a nice evening with friends (even if there are child screams here and there).

7. Have entertainment for any kids that may be in attendance. We always invite our closest friends and all of their littles. Last year I grabbed a paper tablecloth for them and a few crafts from Target to keep them entertained while we got the food ready.



8. Enjoy it! As a host be sure to get a plate for yourself and spend time with your guests as well. Make sure to allot enough time for you to have the food completed and ready by the time your guests arrive.


I’m really excited for this again this year and I will be sure to share pictures. Here is our tentative menu:

Appetizers:
Stuffed mushrooms
Bruschetta
Cheese and meat platter


Dinner:
Turkey
Stuffing
Mashed potatoes
Sweet potato casserole
Macaroni and cheese
Broccoli casserole
Sweet corn
Cranberry sauce
Rolls


Dessert:
Cranberry pinwheels
Rice krispie treats
Peanut butter pie
Chocolate pie
Sugar cookies


Drinks:
Beer
Wine
Coquito
Apple Cider Sangria
Kids punch

Do you host anything similar to this? Please share! I love all things Thanksgiving!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment